Tabling at Events, Conferences, Markets.....
By setting up a table you can display useful information about DN! that people can take with them. Ask our outreach team for DN! brochures and use materials from our downloadable resources section.
What to Put on Your Table:
- Flyers giving the local station and air times of DN! in your community.
- Materials describing Democracy Now!, its Hosts, Awards it has won, etc.
- Information on how people can get involved with a campaign or media activist coalition.
- Article lists highlighting the diversity of voices and topics aired on DN! This gives people a glimpse into the kind of reporting and critical analysis DN! does.
- Petitions (if campaigning a station)
- Daily Digest sign-up Sheets
- Bumper Stickers are great to sell to help advertise DN! You can get them from our outreach department for the price we pay for them and sell them for profit to help raise funds to get DN! on the air in your community.
- Play a a sample episode of the show on your laptop for people to see and hear.
- Bring Food if possible–People are almost always more likely to come up to the table if there is something to eat or drink on it. Bake some cupcakes and write DN! in the icing, have a bowl of candies, or some lemonade.
There are hundreds of ways to grab people’s attention so don’t let our short list inhibit your creativity!
When tabling, your goal is to get people interested in the show and energized about your campaign. It can be disheartening when people are too busy to talk with you. But keep your chin up! You are doing important work, getting even one new listener/viewer makes a huge difference.
The three most important points of tabling are:
1. A good location increases the number of people who will casually walk by and possibly start up a conversation with you.
2. Making eye contact, smiling, and calling out tag-lines to perk their interest are essential ways to attract people to the table. Being friendly and welcoming makes people less nervous to come up to your table. Once they are looking at the table, try engaging them in conversation about DN!
3. Familiarity with the show allows you to be able to talk in depth and comfortably about DN! By simply listening to/watching the show you should be fine!
If you choose to make your own materials, please send us a copy so that we can facilitate the sharing of ideas among DN! supporters around the country. Contact the Democracy Now! Outreach Team by email: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at: 212-431-9090 x802