Work with Democracy Now!
Democracy Now! en Español Internship
The Spanish department of Democracy Now! translates, produces, and distributes daily news content on line. Our programs are currently broadcast on more than 480 radio stations around the world. Interns help with translation of stories, draft content for our social media channels, and support outreach projects.
Democracy Now! Internships are paid, 20 hour per week, temporary work placements to help students, people early in their careers and career changers to gain entry-level skills and experience in the fields of outreach, social media, education, fundraising, translation, archiving and IT in a non-profit setting. Find out more about the Internship Program.
- Assist with Democracy Now! en Español social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube
- Translate content from English to Spanish
- Grow and maintain online audience and media network currently broadcasting or reproducing Democracy Now! en Español’s content.
- Foster alliance building and networking amongst Democracy Now! en Español supporters and other like-minded groups and organizations.
- Monitor breaking news and identify trends to position stories
- Other duties as assigned
- Be a part of the inner workings of a daily global broadcast
- Hone research, social media, and communication skills
- Gain exposure to advance news translation techniques and innovative channels of distribution
- Learn to deliver journalistic content in a professional environment that on daily deadlines
- Enrich knowledge of news and current events
- Knowledge of Democracy Now! and commitment to its mission
- Technical and creative writing in Spanish specific to social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.
- Strong interpersonal and phone skills in Spanish and English (Bilingual)
- Strong Internet research skills, detail oriented and ability to multitask
- Knowledge and interest in news and current events
- Authorization to work in the US
- High school diploma or equivalent
Candidates may apply for only one internship per session. To apply, send a one-page resume, a cover letter and two work or academic references to dnespanol-intern [at] democracynow [dot] org with "Democracy Now! en Español Intern" as the subject line. In your cover letter, please address these questions:
- How did you discover Democracy Now!?
- What are your goals in seeking out this internship?
- What makes you a good candidate for this internship?
Due to the volume of applications received, you will only be contacted if you are selected for an interview. No mail submissions or phone calls please.
Democracy Now! is an equal-opportunity employer.