Work with Democracy Now!
Linux Systems Administrator
Democracy Now! seeks a reliable, innovative and friendly Systems Administrator to run day-to-day IT operations. Our Systems Administrator is responsible for maintaining and monitoring office infrastructure as well as mission critical broadcast systems that we rely upon to produce and distribute our award winning news hour. Democracy Now! has a heterogeneous mix of primarily Linux and OS X systems and requires a system administrator experienced with both operating systems.
- Maintain servers and network infrastructure that ingest, play out and transcode video for broadcast and Internet viewing
- Support all office IT including desktop support, printers, various shipping appliances and basic PBX support
- Provide technical support for internal and external users (user base with very diverse background and skillsets), including on-site support for 8am ET broadcast
- Evaluate and/or recommend purchases
- Liaise with vendors and service providers
- Respond to critical outages after hours
- Comfort with most aspects of operating system administration; for example, managing processes and services, configuration of mail systems, system installation and configuration, printer systems, and fundamentals of security
- Supporting web environment (ruby, mysql, nginx) in collaboration with others
- Familiarity with storage systems including: RAID, LVM, SMART, SATA/SAS and FC
- A solid understanding of the operating systems in use at the site (Linux, OS X and Windows); understanding of paging and swapping, inter-process communication, devices and what device drivers do, and filesystem concepts
- Familiarity with fundamental networking/distributed computing environment concepts; ability to configure file sharing (AFP/SAMBA; providing DNS services; understanding of basic routing concepts);
- Strong bash scripting experience
- Experience with Linux (server distributions based on apt preferable), OS X, sh/bash scripting, essential command line tools (grep, awk, sed, nc, etc.), mencoder/mplayer/ffmpeg
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to write purchase justifications, train users in complex topics
- Independent problem-solving, self-direction
- Works well alone or on a team
Desirable Background and Skills
- Familiarity with Democracy Now!
- Programming background in any applicable language
- Ability to do minimal debugging and modification of C or Java programs
- Experience with bacula, nginx, Ruby on Rails, FORK, mysql, qmail, JIRA/Confluence, java web apps, asterisk
- Familiarity with mpeg container and various video codecs
This full-time New York City-based position with compensation based upon experience and a generous benefits package. Democracy Now! is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Submit the following to systemsadmin [at] democracynow [dot] org with the subject line “Systems Administrator” before 5 pm ET on July 3, 2014. No phone calls.
- A complete chronological resume, including dates of employment.
- The names and contact information for two references.
- A cover letter that includes answers to the following questions:
1. Why are you compelled to apply for this position?
2. How do your experience and talents fit the criteria laid out in the job announcement?
3. How did you hear about this position?