Sportswear giant Nike is facing trouble again. Already reeling from charges that it exploits children in its factories in Indonesia and Vietnam, women’s groups are now slamming the multinational company over its new advertising campaign.
Television commercials show women saying they will be stronger, healthier and more independent if they are allowed to play sports and wear Nike products.
Coalition of women’s groups say that the ad reaches a new level of hypocrisy, since Nike employs women in its Asian factories at low pay under poor conditions.
- Eleanor Smeal, the president of the Feminist Majority Foundation, a research and advocacy group promoting social, economic and political equality for women.
- Vizhier Corpus, a spokesperson for Nike.
- Feminist Majority Foundation
- Women’s Net
- Latino Link -"Big Mac? Not for Maquiladoras Workers"
- Latino Link -"Nafta Fails to Stem Maquiladora Growth Along the Border"