As the Pope touches down in Cuba, Democracy Now! continues its"Conversation in Cuba" series. Over the winter holidays, host Amy Goodmantraveled to Havana and spoke with a number of people, including WillliamLee Brent. She met him at his home, a comfortable apartment in Miramar,one of the more prosperous sections of the capital.
William Lee Brent is a former Black Panther from Oakland, California, whohijacked a plane to Havana almost three decades ago.. After he was jailedin Cuba for two years, Brent worked in a soap factory, cut sugar cane,studied Spanish literature at the University of Havana, and eventuallytaught English at a local high school. Now 67 years old, he reflects onhis life in Cuba today, and the country he left behind, fleeing from J.Edgar Hoover’s campaign to eliminate the Black Panther Party.
- William Lee Brent, former Black Panther and U.S. exile in Cuba; author of??Long Time Gone.
- Radio Habana Cuba
- The Republic of Cuba–National Web Site
- 1/20/98 Democracy Now!–"Cuba — Santeria"
- 1/16/98 Democracy Now!–"Economy in Cuba"
- 1/15/98 Democracy Now!–"Young Prostitutes in Cuba"
- 1/14/98 Democracy Now!–"Cuban Reigious Leaders"
- 1/13/98 Democracy Now!–"AIDS in Cuba"
- 1/12/98 Democracy Now!–"Cuba Conversations–Arnaldo Coro Antich"
- 1/9/98 Democracy Now!–"Women In Cuba"
- 1/8/98 Democracy Now!–"Evoving Revolutionary"
- 1/7/98 Democracy Now!–"Cuba’s Revolution and the Lives it Changed"
- 1/6/98 Democracy Now!–"Interviews from Cuba (Part II)"
- 1/5/98 Democracy Now!–"Interviews from Cuba (Part I)"
- 11/20/97 Pacifica Network News–"Bombs in Havana"
- 11/19/97 Pacifica Network News–"Pentagon Planned Crisis To Blame On Castro"
- 10/17/97 Pacifica Network News–"The Mythical Che Guevara"
Recent Shows More
The original content of this program is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. Please attribute legal copies of this work to
democracynow.org. Some of the work(s) that this program incorporates, however, may be separately licensed. For further information or additional permissions,