In the last few days, the Washington Post has been reporting on the connections of Rep. Bob Barr (R-Ga) and Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott (R-Miss) to the Council of Conservative Citizens (CCC). The Council is a white organization that regularly publishes anti-black, anti-Latino, anti-immigration and anti-gay literature in its newsletters and on its web page, and whose members often have ties to Neo-Nazi and other racist groups. Both have given speeches at CCC events, and Barr spoke at a CCC event as recently as this past June 4 and 5 in Charleston, South Carolina. The Southern Poverty Law Center, an organization that monitors racist groups, has just released a report on the CCC establishing these links.
- Bob Barr speech delivered at a June 6 CCC conference in Charleston, South Carolina.
- Gordon Lee Baum, CEO of the Council of Conservative Citizens.
- Arnie Watson, uncle of Sen. Trent Lott, former State Senator, WWII veteran and member of the Council of Conservative Citizens.
- Rep. Cynthia McKinney, (D-GA), who has denounced Barr’s and Lott’s connections to the CCC, saying about Barr that "hypocrisy seems alive and well in the Seventh District of Georgia."
- Mark Potok, Editor of the Quarterly Intelligence Report for the Southern Poverty Law Center, and co-author of the report on the Council of Conservative Citizens (CCC) entitled "Sharks in the Mainstream."