In the last few days, the Washington Post has been reporting on the connections of Rep. Bob Barr (R-Ga) and Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott (R-Miss) to the Council of Conservative Citizens (CCC). The Council is a white organization that regularly publishes anti-black, anti-Latino, anti-immigration and anti-gay literature in its newsletters and on its web page, and whose members often have ties to Neo-Nazi and other racist groups. Both have given speeches at CCC events, and Barr spoke at a CCC event as recently as this past June 4 and 5 in Charleston, South Carolina. The Southern Poverty Law Center, an organization that monitors racist groups, has just released a report on the CCC establishing these links.
- Bob Barr speech delivered at a June 6 CCC conference in Charleston, South Carolina.
- Gordon Lee Baum, CEO of the Council of Conservative Citizens.
- Arnie Watson, uncle of Sen. Trent Lott, former State Senator, WWII veteran and member of the Council of Conservative Citizens.
- Rep. Cynthia McKinney, (D-GA), who has denounced Barr’s and Lott’s connections to the CCC, saying about Barr that "hypocrisy seems alive and well in the Seventh District of Georgia."
- Mark Potok, Editor of the Quarterly Intelligence Report for the Southern Poverty Law Center, and co-author of the report on the Council of Conservative Citizens (CCC) entitled "Sharks in the Mainstream."
Recent Shows More
There are no headlines for this date.
The original content of this program is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. Please attribute legal copies of this work to
democracynow.org. Some of the work(s) that this program incorporates, however, may be separately licensed. For further information or additional permissions,