Thousands of Indonesian students continue their protests after the killings of more than half a dozen of their classmates by the military. As the dictator Suharto heads back to Indonesia from a visit to Egypt, thousands of protesters are demanding his ouster.
- Pius Lustrilanang, an Indonesian democracy activist and coordinator of SIAGA (People’s Democtratic Alliance), a coalition supporting Indonesian opposition leaders Megawati Sukarnoputri and Amien Rais. Last February, he was abducted and remained missing for two months while enduring detention and torture.
- East Timor Action Network
- 5/7/98 Pacifica Network News–"Congress Hears of Indonesian Rights Abuses"
- Yahoo! complete coverage of Indonesia on the Brink
- 11/12/98 Democracy Now!–"Massacre: The Story of East Timor"
Recent Shows More
Longest-Serving U.S. Prisoner in Solitary Ordered Free Again, But State Obstruction Bars His Release
The original content of this program is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. Please attribute legal copies of this work to
democracynow.org. Some of the work(s) that this program incorporates, however, may be separately licensed. For further information or additional permissions,