More than 200 people have been killed in Indonesia over the past four days from fires or being fired upon. Indonesian police have shot and killed students and protestors marching through the streets. Mass fires and looting have continued since Monday as Indonesians call for President Suharto to step down. Late last week the House Subcommittee on International Operations and Human Rights heard testimony from Indonesians about the economic and political environment created by Suharto.
- Arayati, an Indonesian activist using a different name to disguise her identity so that her family in Indonesia will not face repercussions for her testimony before the U.S. Congress. Aryati testified last Thursday before the House Subcommittee on International Operations and Human Rights.
- 5/14/98 Pacifica Network News–"Update on Indonesia Protests"
- 5/14/98 Democracy Now!–"Interview with Indonesian Torture Victim"
- Contact your member of Congress about Indonesia
- H.R.1132:: A bill to limit United States military assistance and arms transfers to the Government of Indonesia.
- H.CON.RES.258:: A concurrent resolution encouraging international resolution of the political status of East Timor.
- East Timor Action Network