Hello! You are part of a community of millions who seek out Democracy Now! each month for ad-free daily news you can trust. Maybe you come for our daily headlines. Maybe you come for our in-depth stories that expose corporate and government abuses of power and lift up the voices of ordinary people working to make change in extraordinary times. We produce all of this news at a fraction of the budget of a commercial news operation. We do this without ads, government funding or corporate sponsorship. How? This model of news depends on support from viewers and listeners like you. Today, less than 1% of our visitors support Democracy Now! with a donation each year. If even 3% of our website visitors donated just $10 per month, we could cover our basic operating expenses for a year. Pretty amazing right? If you visit us daily or weekly or even just once a month, now is a great time to make a monthly contribution.

Your Donation: $
Tuesday, October 5, 1999 FULL SHOW | HEADLINES | PREVIOUS: Families of Rockefeller Drug Law Prisoners Protest...
1999-10-05

Pentagon Promises Investigation Into Massacre of South Koreans During Korean War

download:   Audio Get CD/DVD More Formats
DONATE →
This is viewer supported news

The United States and South Korean governments last week promised to conduct a full-scale investigation into the No Gun Ri massacre during the Korean war, in which US troops opened fire against South Korean civilians and killed about 300 people, including women and children.

Survivors of the massacre had demanded a full inquiry by Washington after the Associated Press published a report in which their accounts were confirmed by US veterans. They said the investigation is necessary to "console the wandering souls of those who died."

The survivors’ group said that hundreds of people were killed in a mass shooting after 100 died in an air attack in late July 1950, during the early days of the Korean War. The civilians had sought refuge under a bridge and were trapped by the American troops who began shooting against them.

The Pentagon for years has denied that the massacre took place, but was forced to agree to an investigation after the veterans came forward.

The AP report, based in part on declassified US military archives, said that US commanders at the time issued orders to their troops to shoot civilians if they thought that they might have been the North Korean enemy disguised as South Korean refugees.

The survivors had filed a claim with the South Korean Government Compensation Committee in 1997, but it was rejected last year because the five-year statute of limitations had expired long ago.

Guests:

  • Bruce Cummings, Professor of History at the University of Chicago and author of ??The Origins of the Korean War.
  • Edward Daily, Korean War veteran and one of the 12 US veterans that came forward with accounts of the No Gun Ri massacre. He operated one of the machine guns. Speaking from his home in Clarksville, Tennessee.

??
??
??

????
??

Recent Shows More

Full News Hour

Stories


Creative Commons License The original content of this program is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. Please attribute legal copies of this work to democracynow.org. Some of the work(s) that this program incorporates, however, may be separately licensed. For further information or additional permissions, contact us.