Dear Democracy Now! Visitor: We are an independent, ad-free daily news program that serves millions of viewers and listeners each month. Our show is special because we make it our priority to go where the silence is. We put a spotlight on corporate and government abuses of power and lift up the stories of ordinary people working to make change in extraordinary times. We do all of this with just a fraction of the budget and staff of a commercial news show. We do it without ads, corporate sponsorship or government funding. How is this possible? Only with your support. If everyone who visited our website in the next week donated just $15, we would cover all of our operating costs for the year. We can't do it without you. Please donate today. It takes just a couple of minutes to do your part to make sure Democracy Now! is there for you and everybody else.

Your Donation: $
Tuesday, August 31, 1999 FULL SHOW | HEADLINES | PREVIOUS: The Women of East Timor
1999-08-31

Congressional Black Caucus Holds Hearings On Police Brutality in Los Angeles

download:   Get CD/DVD More Formats
This is viewer supported news

Federal authorities in California have opened an investigation into the El Monte Police Department’s fatal shooting of a 61-year-old grandfather during a narcotics raid in the Los Angeles suburb of Compton, officials said yesterday.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Mike Gennaco has asked the FBI to open a probe to see if Mario Paz’s civil rights were violated by the El Monte officers, who shot off the locks to his home last August 9th and then shot him twice in the back during a raid in the middle of the night. Paz’s family says it is filing a lawsuit against the department.

The police say an officer feared that Paz was armed or was reaching for a weapon—characterizations disputed by the family. El Monte police had been looking for an alleged drug dealer who had used Paz’s address. Police have since said they had no information to tie Paz or his family to drug trafficking and still do not have any information or evidence of wrongdoing.

Meanwhile, Los Angeles-area police practices came under scrutiny yesterday at a hearing convened by the Congressional Black Caucus. One of those providing testimony was attorney Carl Douglas, who said that no police officers have been prosecuted in L.A. County for killing a civilian in the last four years. According to Douglas, having the district attorney’s office investigate allegations of police misconduct is "like having the foxes guard the hen house."

Guests:

  • Rep. Juanita Millender-Mcdonald (D-CA), Congresswoman representing the Watts area of Los Angeles.
  • Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA).
  • Michael Zinzun, Coalition Against Police Abuse and member of the Black Radical Congress. He is also a former Black Panther.
  • Brian Dunn, Los Angeles Attorney representing the family of Mario Paz. He is from the firm Cochran, Cherry, Givens, Smith and Ferrer, and is handling this case together with Johnnie Cochran.

Creative Commons License The original content of this program is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. Please attribute legal copies of this work to democracynow.org. Some of the work(s) that this program incorporates, however, may be separately licensed. For further information or additional permissions, contact us.

This is viewer supported news