The theme of the first night of the Republican convention was No Children Left Behind. Ironically, it was sort of a Gulf War reunion with Colin Powell on the stage and former Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney and former President George Bush. Ironic because it was that triumvirate along with Norman Swartzkopf that presided over the Gulf War, which began with bombs and continues through this day with economic sanctions that have killed an estimated half a million children.
The U.S. and British bombing of Iraq continues on an almost daily basis.
- Former President Bush, interview with Amy Goodman.
- Gen. Colin Powell, former Chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under President George Bush.
- David McReynolds, the Socialist Party candidate for president. He is a long time anti-war activist with the War Resisters League.
- Father Roy Bourgeoise, the founder of School of the Americas Watch. Yesterday, seven SOA activists were arrested while demonstrating.
- Allison Styan, a 17 year old student from Ephrata, Pennsylvania. She was one of nine people arrested last night protesting the US Army School of the Americas.
Recent Shows More
The original content of this program is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. Please attribute legal copies of this work to
democracynow.org. Some of the work(s) that this program incorporates, however, may be separately licensed. For further information or additional permissions,