Talking Points For Approaching Radio Stations About Broadcasting Democracy Now!
Download PDF version–Radio Talking Points
Why Democracy Now!?
- Democracy Now! is one of public broadcasting’s fastest growing programs and now broadcasts on over 800 TV and Radio Stations.
- “Democracy Now! retains a jagged and intriguing edge,” says the Washington Post. You’ll hear a diversity of voices not often heard on other U.S. media including independent and international journalists; ordinary people affected by government policy, whether in the U.S. or around the world; grassroots leaders, artists, academics and independent analysts. Energetic debates extend beyond the traditional liberal/conservative exchange. The daily live one-hour program combines the cutting edge of a breaking news program and the magazine format that allows for extended discussions and debates.
- Democracy Now! has won numerous awards for journalistic excellence, including the George Polk Award, The Columbia-Dupont Award, and many Golden Reel Awards from the National Federation of Community Broadcasters. For a partial list of awards that Demoracy Now! and its hosts have won, see the “Downloadable Resources” section at www.democracynow.org/get_involved
- As a news show that is funded entirely through contributions from listeners, viewers, broadcasting stations and foundations, Democracy Now! maintains its editorial independence, providing a counterweight to media consolidation.
- Democracy Now! often outperforms all other programs during radio station fundraising drives, including NPR’s Morning Edition and All Things Considered. For testimonials form TV and radio station managers about Democracy Now! see the corresponding documents in the “Downloadable Resources” section at: www.democracynow.org/get_involved
- Democracy Now! is popular among journalists. CNN’s Gloria Hilliard says,” Amy, your courage is an inspiration. Thank you for your voice.” For more comments from journalists, see “What Journalists are Saying about Democracy Now!” at www.democracynow.org/get_involved under “Downloadable Resources”.
How Radio Stations Can Get Democracy Now!
- The program is produced live in New York City from 8:00 a.m.-8:59a.m. Eastern Time. It is delivered to stations via:
- C-band satellite, (on the Public Radio Satellite System (PRSS) Channel A67.7), and via the PRSS Content Depot.
- Ku-band satellite over the Pacifica Satellite System
- Broadcast-quality MP3 computer files, which are available to stations over the internet, within 45 minutes of the show’s broadcast (i.e. by 9:30 am ET) Most stations can download the program and have it ready for broadcast in about 15 minutes.
- Democracy Now offers the program to new stations FREE for a no obligation trial period of ONE YEAR. After that, we encourage new stations to affiliate with Pacifica Radio, but the program is also available directly from Democracy Now!. The costs are identical and are calculated using a sliding scale based on the station’s budget.
If station managers request more detailed KU satellite scheduling information, refer them to the Pacifica KU Schedule, which is posted at: www.pacificanetwork.org
Show for Nov 21, 2014
Daily News Digest