NYT: Two Dozen People Killed by Carbon Monoxide After Leaving on Keyless Cars

HeadlineMay 15, 2018
H8 keyless car monoxide deaths

The New York Times is reporting more than two dozen people have been killed by carbon monoxide poisoning nationwide since 2006, after their keyless ignition cars were inadvertently left running in garages. More than half of the new cars sold in the United States now power on and off with a button rather than a key. But this technology can deceive drivers into thinking that the car is off, when actually it is still running. Consumer advocates have called on car manufacturers to implement new safety features to prevent drivers from leaving keyless ignition cars running for hours by mistake, which can lead to the fatal carbon monoxide poisoning.

The original content of this program is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. Please attribute legal copies of this work to democracynow.org. Some of the work(s) that this program incorporates, however, may be separately licensed. For further information or additional permissions, contact us.

Non-commercial news needs your support

We rely on contributions from our viewers and listeners to do our work.
Please do your part today.
Make a donation
Up arrowTop