Iran announced today it has breached the limit on enriched uranium permitted under the landmark 2015 nuclear deal. Iran says they will continue to up their production in response to the failure of other signatories of the deal to uphold its commitments following Trump’s withdrawal from the agreement last year and the reimposition of crippling sanctions. The U.S. withdrew from the accord despite widespread international disapproval and evidence that the agreement was effective. In response, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo warned of further sanctions and isolation, and Trump said Iran “better be careful.”
In more news from Iran, officials have denounced Britain’s detention of an Iranian oil tanker last Thursday as an “act of piracy” and are calling for its immediate release. British marines seized the vessel after they suspected it of violating sanctions by carrying oil to Syria.