U.S. Threatens Military Action Against Iran After Oil Attacks in Saudi Arabia

HeadlineSep 16, 2019

Trump says the U.S. is “locked and loaded” following drone and cruise missiles attacks that struck major oil facilities in Saudi Arabia Saturday. The U.S. accused Iran of being behind the attacks, which were claimed by Houthi rebels. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Iran carried out what he called an “unprecedented attack on the world’s energy supply.” Iran denies any involvement, with Foreign Minister Javad Zarif tweeting, “Having failed at 'max pressure,' Secretary Pompeo’s turning to 'max deceit.'” The attacks sent oils prices soaring after they reportedly halved Saudi oil production by 50% in their immediate aftermath.

The attack came just ahead of the United Nations General Assembly in New York. Last week, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said President Trump is open to meeting with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani with no preconditions, but on Sunday Trump blamed what he called “the fake news” for essentially reporting what Pompeo publicly said. We’ll have more on this story after headlines.

The original content of this program is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. Please attribute legal copies of this work to democracynow.org. Some of the work(s) that this program incorporates, however, may be separately licensed. For further information or additional permissions, contact us.

Non-commercial news needs your support

We rely on contributions from our viewers and listeners to do our work.
Please do your part today.
Make a donation
Up arrowTop