In other news from Afghanistan, the death toll from Friday’s explosions at a mosque in Kandahar has risen to at least 47. The Islamic State Khorasan, known as ISIS-K, claimed responsibility for the attack. One local man lost loved ones at last week’s attack, as well as the mosque attack in Kunduz one week earlier.
Kandahar resident: “For how long should we live with blood and grief? What is our crime? Please share this with the entire world. We are Shiites. We are Afghans. What crime did we commit that we are offering so many sacrifices? A week ago, my brother got martyred in Kunduz. We did not go outside to earn money, but we came here for prayers this Friday. My brothers got martyred. Their grandchildren got injured and uncle got injured. Another brother is injured. For how long? For God’s sake!”
In more news from Afghanistan, a government spokesperson said girls will soon be allowed to return to secondary schools, after being told to stay home following the Taliban takeover.