D.C. National Guard Chief Says Pentagon Took 3+ Hours to Approve Reinforcements During Capitol Riot

HeadlineMar 04, 2021

On Wednesday, the head of the D.C. National Guard testified that Pentagon leaders put “unusual” restrictions on the deployment of troops to the Capitol complex ahead of January’s assault on Congress. General William Walker told a Senate panel it took over three hours to win approval from the Defense Department to send in National Guard soldiers after he received a frantic call from then-Capitol Police Chief Steven Sund early on the afternoon of January 6 requesting help. That delay was even longer than previously reported. General Walker contrasted the response with the rapid and aggressive deployment of National Guard troops used to suppress Black Lives Matter protests in 2020.

The original content of this program is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. Please attribute legal copies of this work to democracynow.org. Some of the work(s) that this program incorporates, however, may be separately licensed. For further information or additional permissions, contact us.

Non-commercial news needs your support

We rely on contributions from our viewers and listeners to do our work.
Please do your part today.
Make a donation
Top