Work with Us!
Application deadline: May 15, 2018
Democracy Now! Internships are paid, 20 hour per week, temporary work placements to help students, people early in their careers and career changers to gain entry-level skills and experience in the fields of outreach, social media, education, fundraising, translation, archiving and IT in a non-profit setting. Find out more about the Internship Program.
The Democracy Now! Education Internship provides interns with a chance to make a difference by helping educators to use Democracy Now! to teach media literacy and an understanding of the importance of independent journalism to their students. Interns will learn about the inner workings of Democracy Now!, work on outreach to the education community, and developing curriculum and lesson plans, hone their research and communications skills, and be a part of an energetic, exciting team that works each day to use alternative media to bring positive social change.
- Outreach to educators to invite them to visit live Democracy Now! broadcast and to use DN! curriculum in their classroom
- Help set up and assist with facilitation class visits to Democracy Now!
- Assist with designing and planning workshops, building skills to co-present education workshops at Democracy Now! or around New York City.
- Work with local schools and communities to introduce DN!’s Education resources
- Research academic conferences for DN! Education presentations
- Help build and update curricula and classroom resources using Democracy Now! content.
- Learn to design curriculum that uses DN! clips
- Expand knowledge of Democracy Now!’s history and the history of independent media
- Learn to lead discussions around current news stories, exploring independent media and investigative journalism with visiting students
- Learn to work as part of a team
- Learn various strategies for outreach and distribution
- Knowledge of Democracy Now! and commitment to its mission
- Demonstrated interest in the education field
- the ability to work independently
- fluent in online research and social media
- eagerness to learn in a fast-paced environment
- prior teaching experience a plus
- Authorization to work in the US
- High school diploma or equivalent
Candidates may apply for only one internship per session. To apply, send a one-page resume, a cover letter and contact information for two work or academic references to education-intern [at] democracynow [dot] org with “Education Intern” as the subject line. In your cover letter, please address these questions:
- How did you discover Democracy Now!?
- What are your goals in seeking out this internship?
- What makes you a good candidate for this internship?
Due to the volume of applications received, you will only be contacted if you are selected for an interview. No mail submissions or phone calls please.
Democracy Now! is an equal-opportunity employer.