Meanwhile, a panel set up by the Saudi monarchy has cleared the U.S.-backed, Saudi-led coalition of any wrongdoing in the deaths of civilians following a string of deadly airstrikes in Yemen. The Saudi "Joint Incidents Assessment Team" said Tuesday it had discovered mistakes in just three of 15 deadly assaults it reviewed, and cleared pilots and officers of any wrongdoing. This is Saudi legal adviser Mansour Ahmed al-Mansour.
Mansour Ahmed al-Mansour: "Until the moment of preparing this report, we have not found serious intentional violations in Yemen. The presence of innocent civilian victims in the war is because of mistaken bombardment and the presence of mistakes. This exists, and we have previously said that."
On Tuesday, Human Rights Watch accused the U.S.-backed, Saudi-led coalition of committing "war crimes," blaming it for the deaths of 39 civilians in the last two months alone. The war in Yemen has killed more than 10,000 people and has exacerbated a famine that’s left 7 million on the brink of starvation. Yemen’s health and sanitation systems have been left devastated amid a cholera epidemic that’s sickened more than 600,000 people.