Clicky

Pressure Increases to Cut Off Military Aid to Indonesia

Default content image
Listen
Media Options
Listen

The head of a United Nations-backed intervention force in East Timor said he has asked the Indonesian military to make four of its officers available for questioning about the murder of a Dutch journalist two weeks ago who was the correspondent for London’s Financial Times. He said there has not yet been a response.

Sander Toenes was killed shortly after international forces arrived in Timor when he was driving through Dili on the back of a motorcycle. Although many had first reported that the killing had been done by Indonesia-backed militias, the driver of the bike told journalists that the attack had been carried out by men in Indonesian army uniforms.

Meanwhile, the commander of the of pro-independence Timorese rebel group Falintil accused the international forces of taking too long to bring the territory under control so that desperately needed aid can get through to hundreds of thousands of desperate Timorese.

Guest:

  • Allan Nairn, journalist and human rights activist who was recently deported from East Timor. He testified before a congressional committee last Thursday.

Related Story

Video squareStoryNov 14, 2011East Timor Massacre Remembered: U.S.-Armed Indonesian Troops Kill 270 Timorese 20 Years Ago
The original content of this program is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. Please attribute legal copies of this work to democracynow.org. Some of the work(s) that this program incorporates, however, may be separately licensed. For further information or additional permissions, contact us.

Non-commercial news needs your support

We rely on contributions from our viewers and listeners to do our work.
Please do your part today.

Make a donation
Up arrowTop